Friday, July 1, 2011

Chapter 11 - Popularity

"Hug me till you drug me, honey;
Kiss me till I'm in a coma:
Hug me, honey, snuggly, bunny;
Love's as good as soma."  (pg. 166)

The third line in this quote is an example of assonance.  Most writers use assonance to make the poem or writing sound like it flows together.  I personally like reading assonance because it makes the writing seem a little fun to me.  This quote was sung by Lenina after telling Fanny that she truly liked John.

In this chapter, the Director resigns, and Bernard, John, and Lenina become celebrities.  I don't really understand why they became famous.  Maybe everyone disliked the Director, and since they made him resign, they are seen as superstars?  Also, Lenina finally reveals her true feeling about John and how she really likes him.  They see a romantic movie together, but John refused to have relations with her.  I don't know why though.  I thought John really liked Lenina back, but maybe it's against moral code for him or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment