Friday, July 1, 2011

THE END!

"Slowly, very slowly, like two hundred unhurried compass needles, the feet turned towards the right; north, north-east, east, south-east, south, south-south-west; then paused, and, after a few seconds, turned as unhurriedly back towards the left.  South-south-west, south, south-east, east...."  (pg. 259)

What kind of ending is that?  I truly have no idea what this even means.  Did John hang himself?  If he did, why are his feet going in that order?   The wind?  All I know is that John is dead, probably a suicide, because of the press.  All he wanted was to be alone, and he couldn't even get that at an abandoned lighthouse.  I feel his pain, and now he is finally alone.

Hmmm... Although the book kept me somewhat interested throughout, I don't think that I liked it.  I feel that it was unrealistic, and I like to read books that can actually happen.  There were some similarities between it and our society now, which I find very interesting given the fact that it was written in 1932.

4 comments:

  1. It's interesting that you say that because the similarities I noticed with our society made it a little bit realistic to me. Though I agree -- I don't think that humans would readily give up religion, science, and art.

    Also, one book in three days for real?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I wanted to get done with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jacob,

    Nice entries - they had a good combination of thoughtfulness and analysis. Keep up that approach as you work your way through Never Let Me Go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that it was not very realistic in our society today; however, I was drawn into the book to find out more about their absurd practices.

    ReplyDelete