Friday, July 1, 2011

Chapter 14 - Death

"'Popé!' she murmured. and closed her eyes.  'Oh, I do so like it, I do...'  She sighed and let herself sink back into the pillows."  (pg. 204)

The quote is an example of an apostrophe.  Popé is dead, and because she has taken so much soma, Linda is dreaming about times with him.  She addresses him like he was in the same room as Linda and John, but he wasn't.  John, as everyone, including me, would, gets angry that his mom is being with someone that he hates instead of him.  He tries to wake her up, but it's no use.

The ending of the chapter disgusts me.  After Linda dies and John becomes sad, the nurse walks over to him and tells him that he's disrupting the children's lesson of coping with death and possibly putting them back a couple months.  If someone told me that after someone I knew died, I probably would have to hit them.  I thought that that was so rude of the nurse, but I do somewhat understand the circumstances.  I know that in that society that children have to cope with death and see it as a good thing, but they shouldn't have a lesson while John is grieving.  The nurse should have had the lesson another time and taken the children out of the room.

1 comment:

  1. You're right; still, it's hard to accept the death conditioning of these people.

    ReplyDelete