Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Everyday Use

"When I looked at her like that something hit me in the top of my head and ran down to the soles of my feet."  (pg. 181)

This is an example of an epiphany because the character experiences a light bulb moment in which she notices how much the quilts mean to Maggie.  When Dee/Wangero questioned Maggie, Maggie had pretended that she didn't really care about the quilts.  The truth is that Maggie very much so cared for the quotes, and this epiphany allowed the narrator to see how much she appreciated them.  This whole short story was about three sisters who bickered about something or another.  Right after dinner, Wangero went straight to the narrator's bed to get some quilts that were made by their grandmother.  Wangero and the narrator fought about who should get to keep them, and eventually, Wangero got mad and left.  What I don't understand is why she wanted the quilts so bad.  If she was just going to hang up the quilts for decoration, then what the point of having them?  The whole short story was a little odd to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment