Monday, November 7, 2011

How I Met My Husband 2

"He said he missed me.... I went out with him for two years and he asked me to marry him, and we were engaged a year more while I got my things together, and then we did marry."  (pg. 146)

Now that I've talked about the structure in the last blog, I want to talk about my feelings of the short story in this blog.  First off, this is not like any love story I have ever read.  I was fully expecting the letter to come and Chris and her to get back together, but the mailman?  Who would have thought?  The entire time that she was sitting by the mailbox just chilling and waiting for the letter, he was just waiting for the right time to ask her.  I'm sure the mailman thought that she was there to greet him everyday because she like him, but man, was he wrong.  One thing I noticed was that Carmichael, the mailman, liked her for her personality.  Chris, the pilot, only liked her for her looks, but she felt more comfortable with him because he may have been her first love.

Moving on to the questions, I believe that Edie is a sympathetic character because she makes the reader feel her emotions through her role of the narrator.  Her status as the "hired girl" made me feel sorry for her because she is treated inhumanely in her role.

No comments:

Post a Comment