Tuesday, November 29, 2011

A Worn Path

"She wore a dark striped dress reaching down to her shoe tops, and an equally long apron of bleached sugar sacks, with a full pocket: all neat and tidy, but every time she took a step she might have fallen over her shoelaces, which dragged from her unlaced shoes."  (pg. 223)

This quote is an example of indirect characterization because the author is telling the reader how Phoenix dresses.  Authors often use this type of characterization instead of directly telling us what the character is like.

"A Worn Path" is a short story involving this "old Negro woman" name Phoenix who is determined to get to town.  This town is pretty far away as she ran into a couple of strangers along the way.  Once she got to this little town, she completely forgot what she came for.  Then, she remembered that she came to get some medicine for her sick grandson.  In one of the questions, it asks the author if the grandson is really dead.  Personally, I have no idea why someone would ask the author this because I didn't see any clues to make me think that the grandson is dead.  The author avoided the question which makes me think that it is left up to an individual's perception.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, what would make the reader think that the grandson is dead? I thought the same thing. Phoenix said, "My little grandson, he is just the same, and I forgot it in the coming."

    I don't think he's dead -- I think Phoenix just forgot about him because she's old. Really, really old.

    ReplyDelete