Monday, November 7, 2011

How I Met Your Mother... I Mean My Husband

"He always tells the children the story of how I went after him by sitting by the mailbox every day, and naturally I laugh and let him, because I like for people to think what pleases them and makes them happy."  (pg. 146)

The plot structure of this story was similar to many mysterious stories.  I believe the climax was at the end of the short story with the narrator marrying the mailman.  This was also where my expectations as a reader were overturned.  The entire story lead up to this event even though this was not what was expected.  A case of situational irony occurs at this point because when I read it, I kept thinking that she was going to get back with Chris, the pilot.  The story generated much suspense by explaining how she sat by the mailbox and waited to receive a letter from the pilot.  It seemed as though she was waiting forever, and finally, she states that she knew Chris was not going to send her the letter so she stopped going.  The funny part about this was that after she stopped going, the mailman called her because he missed seeing her wait at the mailbox.  He thought she was waiting for him every day when really she was waiting for a letter from Chris like he promised.

No comments:

Post a Comment