Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Miss Brill

"But when she put the lid on she thought she heard something crying."  (pg. 186)
To be honest, I didn't understand this poem very well.  I got that she was an avid people-watcher.  She liked it so much that every Sunday she would sit and watch everyone come to this main gathering place in the park.  Miss Brill came to a realization in this short story that her life is like a play.  She is part of the audience who goes to watch the play, and the people at the gathering place are the performers and actors.  This old woman loves Sundays because of this opportunity to come and people-watch .  This Sunday was especially important because it involved many more people than last Sunday and "the Season" had begun.  I'm assuming this "Season" is Christmas, but I really have no idea.  The last part I didn't understand because I don't know the significance of the fur.  Apparently, it must have been very special to her otherwise she wouldn't had the crying at the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment