Thursday, June 30, 2011

Chapter 6 - Roadtrip!

"'I had the same idea as you,' the Director was saying.  'Wanted to have a look at the savages. Got a permit for New Mexico and went there for my summer holiday.  With the girl I was having at the moment.... I actually dream about it sometimes,' the Director went on in a low voice.  'Dream of being woken up by the peal of thunder and finding her gone; dream of searching and searching for her under the trees.'"  (pg. 96-97)

This long, personal anecdote, made by the Director, explains his reasoning why Bernard should not do what he was planning to do.  He lost his girlfriend because she wondered off why he was taking a nap, and he never found her.  He doesn't want the same thing to happen to Bernard.  The Director also mentioned that he did not approve of Bernard's behavior outside the working hours and threatened him by saying he'll transfer him to Iceland.  Bernard takes it as a compliment of being a rebel, but I think the Director is serious.  Bernard and Lenina decide to leave anyway and go to New Mexico reservation.  Why would anyone want to do that?  I feel like Bernard is trying to get away from civilization, but I don't know why.  He's taking Lenina with him, and she keeps persuading him to take soma.

2 comments:

  1. "I feel like Bernard is trying to get away from civilization, but I don't know why."

    Hasn't Bernard verbalized some of his objections to this society?

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I was reading the Director's anecdote, I felt like there had to be an important reason why he was telling Bernard other than to dissuade him to go. I was thinking that Bernard or Lenina would end up getting hurt or dying, but it turns out they didn't. They actually found something (but I don't want to give it away to someone who hasn't gotten that far).

    ReplyDelete