Thursday, June 30, 2011

Chapter 7 - Finding the Lost One

"'Hullo.  Good-morrow,' said the stranger, in faultless but peculiar English."  (pg. 116)

This is an example of dialect that one of the Indians had as he was talking to Bernard and Lenina.  The dialect helps the reader determine how that civilization spoke and how different it sounds compared to everyday English that we use.  This is the first case in the novel that I've seen where words are spelled differently on purpose to make the reader understand what the person sounds like.  Just reading this one line brings my mind back to last summer when we had to read "Their Eyes Were Watching God" for AP Lang.  Dey talked lik dis, and it wuz confuzin.  My mind adjusted though, and I really enjoyed that novel.

In this chapter, I found it ironic that, on Bernard and Lenina's first day there, they found who they think is the D.H.C.'s girlfriend, whom he lost many years ago, and her son.  I probably should have seen that coming.  Now, I wonder what Bernard and Lenina will do: will they try to help Linda and her son, or leave them there?

No comments:

Post a Comment