Wednesday, June 29, 2011

It has begun...

"And in effect the sultry darkness into which the students now followed him was visible and crimson, like the darkness of closed eyes on a summer's afternoon." (pg. 11)


This simile is really effective because almost every human being has been outside on a summer's day with their eyes closed at some point in their life.  It occurs frequently in the summer as many people want to sun tan while falling asleep under the sun.  The simile explains the color of the darkness that everyone was walking through in a way relatable to almost everyone.

Starting this new book, I am very confused about what's going on.  I think that there are several labs in which humans are being made up to eighty-four "twins" at a time, but I'm not understanding what happens to all of the humans after they are developed.  I believe that the students mentioned in the first chapter of the book are taking a field trip through one of the human development labs and learning how the scientists are making humans.  The anxious-to-learn students must be teenagers, I believe, but it hasn't been told what age they are.

So far, I find the book somewhat interesting.  I think that what the scientists in the lab are doing is intriguing, and they seem to have everything all worked out.  My biggest question, which I hope will be answered in the coming chapters, is what is the point of scientifically making humans and what is going to happen to them?

No comments:

Post a Comment