Friday, August 5, 2011

Chapter 10 Again - A Blog Post Out of Order...

"As soon as I said this I realised I'd made a mistake; that until I'd mentioned these two, I'd had Ruth in a corner, but now she was out.  It was like when you make a move in chess and just as you take your finger off the piece, you see the mistake you've made, and there's this panic because you don't know yet the scale of disaster you've left yourself open to."  (pg. 124)

This analogy is a great example of how Ishiguro can make the reader create a feeling in them as they are reading the book.  The author really makes you remember the feeling of a regret of a mistake you have made in your life.  His diction also contributes to the idea of regret by using words like panic, scale, and disaster.  

The quote is from the description of the argument I talked about a few posts ago.  Kathy had just mentioned to Ruth that she was copying off of the veterans in their way of goodbye.  She set Ruth up, and Ruth was furious.  I think it was kind of rude of Kathy to bring it up out of nowhere.  On the other hand, I do think that it was necessary for Ruth to be put in her place.  Since, at this point, I have read a little far ahead, I think it was a good thing that this happened because it helped them both in the long-run.  

P.S. Sorry for this post being out of order; I forgot I had this highlighted in my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment