Friday, August 5, 2011

Chapters 9 and 10 - A New Place, Old Friends?

"'So that's what's upsetting poor little Kathy.  Ruth isn't paying enough attention to her.  Ruth's got big new friends and bay sister isn't getting played with so often... You're upset because I've managed to move on, make new friends.  Some of the veterans hardly remember your name, and who can blame them?  You never talk to anyone unless they're Hailsham.  But you can't expect me to hold your hand the whole time.'"  (pg. 124)

The quote is just an excerpt of the verbal argument and external conflict that happened between Ruth and Kathy in these chapters.  The kids have now moved on to the Cottages, which I feel like is really similar to college life.  Kathy is tired of Ruth trying to copy everything that the older kids are doing in order to get attention or seem more cool than the rest of them.  Ruth is offended and counters back by saying that she can't make new friends.  I think it is inevitable that all best friends will fight sometime, and I'm pretty surprised it has gone this long.  I feel like Ruth and Kathy don't really have the personalities to be best friends, but they manage to do it somehow.  I am going to predict that this relationship is going to end soon, or at least it should  in my opinion.  As they grow older, the less likely Kathy is going to put up with Ruth it seems.  When they were younger, Kathy tried to not hurt Ruth, like the pencil case incident, but now I feel like Kathy is getting to be more mature and doesn't want to put up with some of her best friend's drama.

No comments:

Post a Comment