Monday, August 1, 2011

Chapters 5 and 6 - Different

"We certainly knew - though not in any deep sense - that we were different from our guardians, and also from the normal people outside; we perhaps even knew that a long way down the line there were donations waiting for us.  But we didn't really know what that meant."  (pg. 69)

It is all starting to make sense a little bit.  These children are different than the normal humans in some way.  This quote really struck me as interesting because I thought something about these children were weird, and it made me think that they might be like the children in Brave New World.  There has been no mention of any family or anything outside of this school that they are attending.  At first, I thought it was some sort of boarding school, but I'm having different views on it now.  Later in Chapter Six, the answer is finally said, "By then, of course, we all knew something I hadn't known back then, which was that none of us could have babies."  Now, my questions are why can't they have babies?  What kind of school is this?  What is the big difference between them and the rest of the human population?  Why aren't they allowed to know these things?  Hopefully, these questions get answered in the next few chapters.

1 comment:

  1. I also thought it was a boarding school at first. The no babies thing also peaked my interest and curiosity about these children. I read the books in the opposite order, but I was also comparing the children in Brave New World to the children in Never Let Me Go because both seemed to have unique lifestyles and practices that made them different from the outside world.

    ReplyDelete