Monday, August 8, 2011

Chapter 19 - Ruth's Death

"It was one of those little islands of lucidity donors sometimes get to in the midst of their ghastly battles, and she looked at me, just for that moment, and although she didn't speak, I knew what her look meant.  So I said to her, 'It's okay, I'm going to do it, Ruth.  I'm going to become Tommy's carer as soon as I can....'  What occurs to me now is that she probably knew all along, even before I did, that I'd become Tommy's carer, and that we'd "give it a try," just as she'd told us to in the car that day."  (pg. 236)

This quote is when Ruth is on her deathbed, and Kathy is sitting right next to her.  They had that special moment together right before she died.  This chapter was very long, but it encompassed alot.  Ruth revealed to Tommy and Kathy that she deliberately kept them apart and was truly sorry for it.  I think Ruth realized that the main reason for this trip was for her to tell them that.  She also told them that they need to go to Madame and see if they can get a deferral to be together.  They need "give it a try."  Ruth had to have alot of courage to say this, and she gained many respect points from me for doing this.  I don't know if I would be able to tell someone something as big as this.  Ruth then pushed Kathy to at least become Tommy's carer.  I think this was a good request because Tommy and Kathy need each other.  Kathy was saying that she was lonely as a carer, and this would be a perfect opportunity for friendship.

No comments:

Post a Comment