Friday, August 5, 2011

Chapter 11 - No More Collection for Ruth

"'My plan was I'd find a really good wooden box for it all once I got to the Cottages.  But when we got there, I could see none of the veterans had collections.  It was only us, it wasn't normal.  We must all have realised it, I wasn't the only one, but we didn't really talk about it, did we?  So I didn't go looking for a new box.'"  (pg. 131)

This quote has an example of a rhetorical question in it.  Ruth is talking to Kathy and asks her this question, but isn't really expecting an answer.  She continues talking because she already knows the answer.

The beginning of this chapter talks about how Ruth is growing up and becoming more mature.  She got rid of her collection because she thought none of the older kids had one.  Later, she told Kathy how she regretted her decision in giving it to Keffers.  I can imagine what Ruth's feeling right now.  Everyone has at least one time in their life where they wish they could go back and fix it like Ruth wants to right now.  This chapter also has Kathy being caught looking at some inappropriate magazines by Tommy, but something seems strange to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment