Monday, August 1, 2011

Chapters 5 and 6 Again - Symbols and Foreshadowing?

"What made the tape so special for me was this one particular song: track number three, 'Never Let Me Go....' Well, the thing was, I didn't listen properly to the words; I just waited for that bit that went: 'Baby, baby, never let me go...' And what I'd imagine was a woman who'd been told she couldn't have babies, who'd really really wanted them all her life.  Then there's that sort of miracle and she has a baby, and she holds this baby very close to her and walks around singing: 'Baby, never let me go...'"  (pg. 70)

I think this quote might be demonstrating some foreshadowing.  We, the readers, just learned that Kathy and the other children cannot have babies.  Kathy didn't know at the time that she couldn't have babies, yet she still imagined, what I believe, will be her life.  She can't have babies, but by some miracle she does.  At least, this is what I hope happens.

Another literary term in effect in these chapters is symbol.  The cassette tape is a prized possession of Kathy's that is obviously pretty special if the book is named after it.  I believe that the tape symbolizes her idea that someday she might have kids and how happy she would be.  Another thing it symbolizes is her own uniqueness and secret that no one else knows.  The new cassette, Twenty Classic Dance Tunes, is also a symbol of how much Ruth appreciates Kathy as a friend and the kindness she has shown to her.

No comments:

Post a Comment