Friday, August 5, 2011

Chapters 13 and 14 - Not Ruth's Possible

"'That's what we came from.  We all know it, so why don't we say it?  A woman like that?  Come on.  Yeah, right, Tommy.  A bit of fun.'"  (pg. 166)

I believe that the above sentence in red is an example of parallelism, but I'm not sure.  Authors use parallelism in books to emphasize something.  Ruth is mad because her hopes were let down.

In Chapter Thirteen, the group arrived at the town and decided to have lunch.  While they were there, Rodney and Chrissie asked the kids if they knew the person at Hailsham to talk to if you were in love and needed time together before becoming a carer.  Ruth acted like she knew exactly what they were talking about, but Tommy flatly told them that he didn't know.  After I read this chapter, I agreed with Kathy that this was the reason that the veterans brought them there, not for Ruth's "possible."  I was surprised in Chapter Fourteen when I was wrong.  They found the woman who somewhat looked like her "possible," but after following her, they realized it wasn't who they thought it was after all.  The chapter ended with Ruth going off with Rodney and Chrissie, and Tommy staying with Kathy.  I was really surprised at this too.  I think Tommy was afraid, like Kathy, that they might get in trouble so he stayed back with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment