Thursday, September 29, 2011

Getting Out

I liked this poem because I could understand the meaning, or so I think.  Two people were married, but now they are divorced.  They had "matching eyes and hair" which I think is a common stereotype that some couples have.  They have "kept to separate sides of the map" which I interpreted to mean that they were on opposite sides of a country.  The couple writes yearly letters to each other which tell the other how "happy" they are.  I think they would rather be with each other, but they cannot because they disagree too much.  Even on the day of their divorce, they amazed the lawyer by crying because they really did not want to go through with it.  This couple both contributed to the pain that ended their marriage, but neither of them truly wanted it to end.

No comments:

Post a Comment