Monday, April 2, 2012

Frankenstein - Who's guilty?

"I did confess; but I confessed a lie.  I confessed, that I might obtain absolution; but now that falsehood lies heavier at my heart than all my other sins."  (pg. 58)

At this point in Chapter 8, Justine has just admitted to killing William, but why would she do that if she didn't kill him?  A locket was found in her pocket that was last seen in William's possession, but she has no idea how it got there.  The evidence points towards Justine and how she killed William.  Yet, Victor still believes that the monster which he created was of fault.  There is no evidence to prove the creature's guilt, but he did happen to be at the murder spot.  Through this mess, Justine remains calm, which normally wouldn't be the case if the person being charged knew that they were guilty.  What I don't understand is why Justine is convicted and killed if she bluntly told them that she was lying in her confession.  Also, why would she want to be convicted?  Did Justine think that they would go easy on her and let her go?  I hope these answers come soon as we figure out what the monster has been up to.

No comments:

Post a Comment