Monday, April 30, 2012

The Great Gatsby - Flashback

"Now I want to go back a little and tell what happened at the garage after we left there the night before." (pg. 156)

As you can tell by the clever title of my blog, I noticed a flashback toward the end of Chapter 8.  For this excerpt of the book, Nick is talking directly to the reader.  He says that he is going to go back and tell the reader exactly what happened after Myrtle was killed.  Nick explains that Michaelis told him that Wilson confronted Myrtle about her lover.  Wilson is convinced that whoever was driving the car was seeking revenge and must have been her lover.  I thought this was a strange theory for Wilson to come up with.  If someone killed my wife, I would not think of it to be her partner whom she is cheating on me with.  Everyone has their own way of thinking, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment