Monday, April 23, 2012

The Great Gatsby - Point of View

"I believe that on the first night I went to Gatsby's house I was one of the few guests who had actually been invited."  (pg. 41)

From this quote, the reader can definitely tell that the point of view is first person.  The narrator and main character is called Nick.  In this novel, it seems as though he is telling a story.  I don't know who he is telling it to or the reason for telling this story, but maybe it will be revealed later.  I think this point of view is used as a way for the reader to get an understanding of characters and what Nick thinks of them.  I also think that this point of view puts a more personal feel on the book and allows the audience to relate to Nick.  The title of the book also stuck out as strange to me.  The character of Gatsby is not even mentioned until chapter three.  Nick is the character who lives right next to Gatsby and initially knows nothing about him.  They are starting to become better neighbors and friends so maybe the book is called what it is to show how Gatsby is a role model for Nick.

No comments:

Post a Comment