Monday, April 30, 2012

The Great Gatsby - The End!

"So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."  (pg. 182)

I felt like this quote was important for some reason (and not just because it is the last sentence of the book).  I think it's saying that our lives really can never escape the past.  The past is what defines us, and we will keep drifting back without moving forward.  Nick is telling the reader his story and how his past has affected him.  Each part of this story has impacted him in some significant way.  Otherwise, he would not have told the reader any of it.  Overall, I was not a big fan of the book.  Some parts confused me; other parts were boring.  It was a fairly easy read though and there was some action at least going on in some parts of the book.

P.S. I hope this is my last blog ever.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that the last sentence is highly significant. I had to read it several times to grasp even a part of it. I do believe that is talks about how the past is an ever-present part in our lives. I like how you said that we drift back without moving forward because we all tend to do this; however, I think Fitzgerald is trying to show that this is no way to live.

    ReplyDelete